Oral Cancer Screening
When oral cancer is found early, treatment can be successful 90% of the time. Unfortunately, when compared to the survival rate of other cancers, the survival rate of oral cancer has not improved greatly over the last 30 years.
Because early detection is a key to survival, it is important to see your dentist regularly. At Westheights Dental Centre, we perform annual screening exams utilising Identafi® in conjunction with a routine head and neck examination. The Identafi® Oral Cancer Screening System uses Multi-Spectral Fluorescence and Reflectance technology to enhance visualization of mucosal abnormalities such as oral cancer or premalignant dysplasia that may not be apparent to the naked eye.
Who is at Risk?
- Patients age 40 and older
- 18-39 years of age combined with the following:
- Tobacco use
- Chronic alcohol consumption
- Oral HPV infection
- Patients with a history of oral cancer
- Of note, 25% of oral cancers occur in people who don’t smoke and have no other risk factors